Location (BN21 1PU)
Motcombe Gardens is tucked away in the heart of Old Town. The gardens are approximately 1 kilometre west of Eastbourne Railway Station and just north of Saint Mary’s Parish Church.
Originally part of a farm yard the 9th Duke of Devonshire gave the garden to the town of Eastbourne in 1909. The pond is the source of the Bourne stream from which ‘East Bourne’ got its name. There is an historic round flint-built dovecote with a conical tiled roof standing on an upper level.
In 2012 the garden became nominated as a Queen Elizabeth II Field.
The pond has resident ducks that are popular with children. The lawn with seats and shady trees is ideal for picnicking. Other seating faces Motcombe Bowls Club where members can often be watched playing during the warmer months.
Motcombe Bowls Club (Open to members and guests only.)
Lawns for informal activities
Note: there are no toilet or refreshment facilities
Closing times vary depending on dusk
January and December: 4pm
February and November: 5.30pm
March and October: 6:30pm
April and September: 8:00pm
May to August: 9:00pm