Location (BN20 7XL)
Nestling below the Downs at the west end of Eastbourne Seafront. Two and a quarter kilometres south-west of the pier.
This land passed through the hands of several private owners including The Duke of Devonshire, the Grand Hotel and finally Mrs. Helen Reid Stewart Hornby Lewis after whom the garden is named. Shortly after her death in 1930 the land was conveyed to the council, landscaped and opened to the public in 1935.
In 2012 the garden became nominated as a Queen Elizabeth II Field.
Broad lawns sloping gently seawards give magnificent views over the sea and towards Eastbourne pier. There is an excellent show of spring daffodils and plenty of seating. A small modern children’s playground is available and a large putting course.
Kiosk serving minor refreshments (seasonal)
Lawns for informal activities
Putting green (Bookable at kiosk.)
Petanque/Boule rink (Bookable at kiosk.)