The Corporate Fraud team is committed to the prevention, detection and investigation of fraud and error in all areas of the council, including:
- Council Tax Reduction
- Council Tax- e.g. incorrectly claimed discounts, exemptions and disregards
- Non-Domestic Rates (Business Rates)
- Tenancy- e.g. subletting, key selling, obtaining housing by deception and wrongly claimed successions
We take all action necessary to identify fraud and error in the system. We pledge to pursue the recovery of losses and the suitable punishment of those responsible.
Reporting a fraud
If you want to report fraud to us, all the information you provide will be treated with strict confidentiality. You don't have to give us your name and contact details, but you can if you wish.
- Report Fraud Online: The quickest way to report a fraud is online, using our Online Fraud Reporting Form
- By Telephone: Call our FREE Fraud Reporting hotline on: 0800 731 7039
- In Writing to: Corporate Fraud Team, Eastbourne Borough Council, 1 Grove Road, Eastbourne, BN21 4TW
Send details of the person you suspect, including their name and address if known, and what kind of fraud you think they are committing (i.e. undeclared job, partner, savings etc.). It would also be helpful if you could tell us any other relevant details, such as the type of car they drive, or the times they leave to go to work.
Housing Benefit Fraud
Eastbourne Borough Council is no longer responsible for the investigation of Housing Benefit fraud. This responsibility is now with the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).
You can still report suspected Housing Benefit fraud via any of the methods above, and it will be passed to the Department for Work and Pensions by the council. Alternatively, you can report it directly to the DWP online or by calling 0800 854 440.
You can download our Corporate Fraud Sanction/Enforcement Policy, East Sussex Counter Fraud Hub Strategy and our East Sussex Counter Fraud Hub Policy.