skip to main content
Keep me posted

How Do I Claim Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction?

To claim Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction you will need to complete an application form and return it to us with all the required information. If you do not have all the information at the time you wish to claim, then still return the form and provide the other information once you receive it. This is because if you delay in returning the form you may lose out on benefit. The quickest way to claim is to visit us at 1, Grove Road.

What supporting information will be required to complete my application?

We must see original documents, not copies.  If you bring them to our reception, we will take the details we need and give you the documents back straightaway.

If you are claiming for the first time, you will need to provide:

  • Proof of your Identity (we need this for your partner and children too).  Acceptable evidence includes:

    • Birth Certificates
    • Marriage Certificates
    • Passports
    • National Insurance Card
    • Driving Licence
    • current Home Office letters


  • Proof of your National Insurance Number (we need this for your partner too). 

  • Proof of your rent, such as a tenancy agreement.

      • All the pages of your Entitlement letters from the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) or the Tax Office/ HM Revenues & Customs (HMRC)
      • Proof of Child Benefit for any children living with you        

If you are in receipt of any of the following benefits you will not need to provide proof of all of your savings or other capital:

  • Income Support (I/S)

  • Job Seeker's Allowance - Income Based (JSA-IB)

  • Pension Credits - Guaranteed Credit (PCR-GC)

  • Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

Otherwise, you will need to send details of all of your capital (for you and your partner).  This should include:

  • Proof of all of your Bank, Building Society and Post Office accounts.  For each account you will need to provide at least 2 full calendar months worth of details.

  • Proof of all ISA's (Individual Savings Accounts) and TESSA's (Tax Exempt Special Savings Accounts)

  • Stocks, Shares and Unit trusts

  • All property, land or timeshares other than the home you live in, either in the UK or abroad.

If you are unsure what information is needed, we will write to you to request all the information we need.  We will ask for this information to be provided within one calendar month of the date of the request letter.  If you provide the information sooner, we will be able to make a decision on your claim sooner.

How long will it take to process my benefit application?

The time taken to process your application will depend on a number of things, for example if we need to write to you for further information. However, we aim to process your claim as quickly as possible.

Should I continue to pay my rent and council tax whilst I await a decision on my application for Housing Benefit/Council Tax Reduction?

It is very important that you continue to pay your rent and council tax. You may receive little or no benefit and if you do not pay you may fall in to arrears.

Contact Us

The quickest and easiest way to contact us is by
Email Contact Form
Otherwise you can contact us by
Telephone Contact
01323 410000
In Person Contact
In Person: