» Residents » Benefits and Grants » Council Tax Reduction

Council Tax Reduction

How do I claim Council Tax Reduction?

If you want to claim Council Tax Reduction then download our application form below. It is a joint Housing and Council Tax Reduction application form that can be used for either or both schemes. You may also need to complete the application form for backdating benefit or reduction.

Do not delay returning the form to us as you may lose benefit to which you are entitled. You can claim up to 13 weeks in advance, so if you know you are moving to Eastbourne soon or your circumstances are about to change you can claim now.

What is Council Tax Reduction?

Council Tax Reduction provide help towards paying your Council Tax. You can claim it in addition to any discounts you may be eligible for.

The local Council Tax Reduction scheme follows the lines of the Council Tax Benefit scheme with some important changes. The changes are:

  • It is now a discount scheme rather than a benefit scheme

  • Second adult rebates have been abolished

  • An increase in non-dependant deduction

  • A minimum award of £5.00 per week. If you qualify for less than £5.00 per week you will not get any help

  • Run-ons have been increased from four to eight weeks. A run-on can be awarded, under certain circumstances, to someone who goes back to work.

You can use our Council Tax Reduction calculator to find out what you may be entitled to. 

 A set of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) and the scheme rules are below.

Contact Us

The quickest and easiest way to contact us is by
Email Contact Form
Otherwise you can contact us by
Telephone Contact
0845 300 6715
In Person Contact
In Person: