Maintenance of Eastbourne Borough Council's sports pitches is contracted out to Wyevale Grounds Maintenance. Wyevale run a comprehensive maintenance programme throughout the year.
Maintenance - during the season
- Height of grass during the playing season is 20 to 60 mm
- Height of grass during the summer is 20 to 65 mm
- The grass is generally cut about every 7 – 14 days throughout the year
- Normal cutting height is 20 mm
- All arisings are left on the ground, as a cut and let fly operation.
Brushing, Harrowing and Top Dressing
- The grass surface is maintained as level as possible
- Brushing and harrowing are done on 6 occasions from November to April
- Top dressing is done as and when required
- The marking out of all pitches is done each week throughout the playing season. It is normally done on Thursdays or Fridays
- This is done once a month throughout the playing season to help improve drainage of water from the surface
Goal posts and nets
- These are maintained as necessary. The nets are left out and replaced as required
Maintenance – End of the season
- Goal posts are dismantled and stored. The sockets in the ground are covered using caps to avert hazards
- The grassed surface is scarified in two passes, to maintain an even surface
- Any bare patches (mainly the centre circle and goal posts) are prepared and re-seeded with grass seed.
- A spring fertilizer after seeding is applied to the pitches in April or May
- Summer weed control, pest control and weed killing is carried out once (usually June or July) using a tractor mounted sprayer in suitable weather conditions
- Grass seed is sown to any areas that have not adequately germinated
- Goal post are erected and replaced before the second Saturday in August. All posts and cross bars are repainted, bolted together and nets re-hung
- Deeper aeration is carried out every 2 to 3 years using an earthquake machine