Location (BN22 7LL)
Adjacent to the seafront one and three quarter kilometres north-east of the pier. The park is on the seafront Dotto train route during the season.
Green Flag Award 2012/2013
In July 2012 the park achieved a Green Flag quality award. This is the second year in succession and is similar to the familiar Blue Flag seaside award and guarantees a good range of high quality facilities in friendly surroundings. Use the Green Flag link to find out more.
In 1906-07 Mr. Davis-Gilbert leased a small area, known by the name of Gilbert’s Recreation Ground, to the council.
On 15 August 1922 this and an adjoining area were conveyed to the council for £2.200. On 30 June 1931 the Duke of Windsor, as Prince of Wales, visited the park and planted a tree. It was shortly after renamed “Princes Park” in his honour. In 2011 the park became nominated as a Queen Elizabeth II Field.
The central feature of the park is a large artificial lake where model yachts and powerboats are often raced by two local clubs and many swans congregate. Nearby, Spray Watersports teach sailing skills to all ages.
Lakeside terraced paths are provided with seating and there are lawns and a large scented rose garden for picnicking and informal recreation. A children’s playground is situated at each end of the lake. Bowling greens and a putting course are located near the café.
Pistachios in the Park cafe (9 – 6 every day).
- Toilets (Including disabled).
- Children’s playgrounds:
- Channel View Road entrance, with seasonal 'Splashtastic' water play area
- Wartling Road entrance
- Lawns for informal activities
- Aromatic herb garden inland of lake
- Bowls Club (Greens normally bookable)
- Putting course (Seasonal)
- Bike racks near Channel View Road entrance arch on seafront