27 June 2011
Some Eastbourne residents have received phone calls from a person saying they are from our Council Tax Team and that they are entitled to a refund.
The caller tells them they have overpaid their council tax or that their property has been rebanded. Unlike our genuine Council Tax Team the caller says they can arrange an immediate refund if the resident provides their debit or credit card details.
This call is a scam. Never give your card details out over the phone to someone for a refund of Council Tax.
What to do if you are unsure
- Our team will always give you our main switchboard number to call if you want to check our identity. 01323 410000. Call us back on this number only, if you have any doubts.
- If our team needs to arrange a direct debit to recover unpaid or late-paid council tax they will request bank account number and sort code, not card details.
How to Report a Scam Call
- Call our main switchboard on 01323 410000. Have your Council Tax reference number ready, if possible. Or use our Council Tax Contact Form to report the details online.
- Call Trading Standards Consumer Direct service on 08454 04 05 06
- Call Sussex Police on 0845 60 70 999