What is procurement?
Procurement covers the process by which works, goods and services are acquired from suppliers and providers and managed throughout their life.
Effective procurement must be measured as much by the social outcomes and community benefits as by the financial gains.
The council’s key aims and priorities:
- Efficient and Effective Services
- Reducing Waste in the Environment
- Crime Prevention and Enforcement
- Council Values
- Eastbourne Borough Council is a member of the Eastbourne Strategic Partnership group whose 2020 partnership vision is of a thriving town, where people will want to live, work and visit, with every resident enjoying a high quality of life and a healthy, clean environment that is valued, preserved and improved for future generations. This is reinforced by our key aims and priorities listed above.
Strategy and Support
Eastbourne Borough Council’s Procurement Strategy was agreed by Cabinet and reflects the National Procurement Strategy for Local Government, which was launched by the Government in October 2003.
The council actively seeks opportunities for joint working with its public sector partners in East Sussex, Sussex, and councils across England including collaborative working groups such as the East Sussex Procurement Group, Sussex Enterprise, and the South East Centre of Excellence.
We spend approximately £20m every year on buying works, goods and services from external organisations.
We seek to maximise support to Small and Medium sized Enterprises and the local economy by encouraging local businesses to offer their goods and services to the council whilst maintaining our duty to provide best value for money.
We aim to:
- encourage local businesses to supply goods and services to the council,
- provide “Selling to the Council” advice on our procurement processes, procedures and requirements,
- simplify procurement processes where practical, and ensure that wherever possible the packaging of requirements gives smaller businesses the chance to offer their products or services.