It is a criminal offence to work as a Door Supervisor in England and Wales without a licence from the Security Industry Authority (SIA).
The national licensing scheme from the SIA has replaced local door supervisors registrations previously issued by Eastbourne Borough Council.
Security Industry Authority (SIA)
Security staff and activities that need an SIA licence are:
- Door supervisors both in-house and supplied under contract
- Security guards supplied under contract
- Key holders supplied under contract
- Close protection operatives supplied under contract
- Cash and valuables in transit operatives supplied under contract
- CCTV (public space surveillance) operatives supplied under contract
- Private investigators supplied under contract
- Vehicle immobilisers on private land both in-house and supplied under contract
Door Supervision licences
You need a Door Supervisors licence if you are responsible for security, protection, screening the suitability of people entering the premises or dealing with conflict in pubs, clubs and other licensed premises open to the public.
The definition of licensed premises includes those with:
- Premises licences issued under the Licensing Act 2003 that authorise the supply of alcohol or regulated entertainment
- Temporary event notices issued under the Licensing Act 2003 that authorise the supply of alcohol or regulated entertainment
- Licences of a prescribed description under any local statutory provision
The definition of licensed premises does not include:
- Premises with a club premises certificate issued under the Licensing Act 2003
- Premises authorised for regulated entertainment consisting only of plays and films
- Premises with a licence in effect under Part 2 of the Gaming Act 1968
The SIA will only grant licences to people who have the right skills and training to do the job, and who pass a criminal background check.
When you have a SIA licence you can work anywhere in England and Wales.
Applying for SIA licences
Go to the SIA website using the links on the right, to obtain your licence and further information:
Who needs a licence?
Checks and documents
Applying for a licence
Licence conditions and enforcement
Licence Wizard - your step by step guide
Sign up online for information updates
You can contact the Security Industry Authority on 0870 2430 100, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Register of licensed Door Supervisors
You can search an online register of Door Supervisors licensed by the SIA, using our link on the right menu.
The register contains the following information:
- First name, middle initial, surname
- Date of birth
- Licence number
- Role - for example frontline operative
The licences described on this page are not issued by the Council. You should contact the relevant organisations direct. We are not able to answer enquiries about licences we do not issue.